Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thursday Nom-day: Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake stew)

For Korean food lovers and fanatics like me, tteokbokki is a really familiar dish. I bet if you are, you have eaten this in a Korean restaurant or even tried in in Korea. I learned to cook this based from online recipes as I always do. If I want to eat something (especially Korean food), I try to cook it at home so that I could eat it again whenever (because I already know how to cook it). Tteokbokki is one of them. Once you have all the ingredients needed, it's pretty easy to make.


Tteokbokki.

The tteokbokki I made in the photo above lacks some ingredients needed for a legit tteokbokki. This is the third time I'm making this dish and I think this one's the best in terms of the sauce even though it lacks some essential stuff in it. I don't have a recipe as I'm just following those found around the internet but what I used in this one are the following: cylinder shaped rice cake (used for tteokbokki specifically), gochujang (hot pepper paste), soy sauce, brown sugar. In the photo above, you can see some bits of white and green things. It's the vegetable packet from Shin ramyun because after this photo, I added noodles to make a combination of tteokbokki and "rabokki" (ramyun-bokki, basically).


Tteok+rabokki.

The ingredients that were supposed to be included in a legit tteokbokki are the dried anchovy+dried kelp stock, green onion, hot pepper flakes, and eomuk (fish cake). I whipped this meal because I was desperate for some tteokbokki and fortunately, there is a Korean grocery nearby.

I hope next time I can also provide a short video of the cooking process. Also, next time I want to cook it in the "real" or "legit" way. Expect some other homemade Korean food here (since that's mostly what I cook). 

Bye bye~

1 comment :